Ambient Weather out of Chandler, Arizona is acclaimed as one of the fastest growing private companies and is also one of the top 500 internet retailers. Ambient offers an innovative line of weather stations and is a leading software company serving the weather industry.
Through a partnership with the provider of largest worldwide network of personal weather stations, Weather Underground (WU), Ambient offers one of the easiest ways to get your weather station online. As a matter of fact, their step by step instructions in their manuals to help you get started with WU is the best I’ve ever seen.
How to install and setup your ws-1400-ip and ws-1401-ip and publish to Weather Underground. Easy!
Keep in mind that this guy is in the southern hemisphere! For more weather station mounting solutions, see this page.
Features of the WS-1401-IP OBSERVER
- Improved power system from the ws-1400-ip
- USA based company
- 7 sensor outdoor sensor array
- 3 sensor indoor unit
- Wireless transmission up to 300 feet
- Easy installation
- Clear and complete installation instructions
- Works with PC, Mac, and Linux systems
Designed with Smart Home Internet Connectivity in Mind
- Connect to the free Weather Underground network
- Connect to the free AmbientWeather network
- Access your real-time weather data from anywhere
- Internet based weather station for home, school,or business
- Communicate with your WS-1401 with Amazon Alexa
- Compatible with IFTTT applets
So let’s take a closer look at one of Ambient’s innovative products; the WS 1401 IP Observer.
For you Ambient Weather fans, no, I didn’t mistype, the WS-1400 has been replaced by the WS-1401. Instead of using the solar panel on the outside weather sensor to recharge the batteries, the WS-1401 has the solar panel charge up a supercapacitor and the batteries help keep the supercapacitor charged at night. The old rechargeable batteries had a limited temperature range and were prone to leakage. This is the same charging system used on high end weather stations.
Not only was the power circuit upgraded for the WS-1401-IP but also the rain gauge and the Thermo-hygrometer.
The WS-1401-IP outdoor weather sensor has 7 weather and environmental measurements that it sends to the ObserverIP in your house. In addition to the regular 5 of temperature, humidity, wind speed and direction, and rain, you get UV measurements and Solar Radiation.
Inside your house you would have an indoor temperature/ relative humidity/ barometer sensor. Ambient calls their thermo-hygrometer-barometer transmitter. Take your pick. Also inside there is the ObserverIP module that collects the weather data sent from the outside unit and the sensor inside wirelessly and sends this data by ethernet cable to your home router.
As you may have noticed, there is no display; all of your weather info is available through your internet browser and mobile devices. This is how Ambient can offer so much for so little. So, if you are a person on the go and would rarely if ever see a display anyway, why pay for one? Get more weather station instead!
Consider your computer and mobile phone to be remote displays.
Note: you can add a display later if you wish. Or, take a look at the WS-1002 WIFI review for a model that already includes an indoor display.
You use your browser to set the weather station configuration variables and to set up a free Weather Underground account. Also see your station on Ambient’s network at AmbientWeather.net. Using AmbientWeather.net you can see all of your weather information on your computer or mobile device. This includes indoor readings.
Receive Email or text alerts for conditions of your choice with AmbientWeather.net
Do you use Amazon Alexa? Connect Alexa and your WS-1401 through AmbientWeather and then you can just ask Alexa for your weather report.
You can also connect your WS-1401 to a free IFTTT account and create automatic actions when certain weather thresholds are reached. For instances see IFTTT for Ambient here: https://ifttt.com/ambient_weather.
IFTTT stands for If This, Then That. Interesting stuff! Check them out at ifttt.com.
IFTTT claims that one billion applets are run every month! That’s 1,000,000,000 applets…. Thats amazing!
WS-1401-IP OBSERVER specifications
Outdoor Sensor Array:
- Temperature Sensor Range is -40 to 140°F with an accuracy of ±2°F
- Humidity Range is 10 to 99% with an accuracy of ±5%
- Wind Speed Range: 0 to 100 mph in 0.1mph increments. Accuracy is ± 2.2 mph or 10%
- Wind Gust Calculation: Peak wind speed in 16 second update period
- Wind Direction Range: 0 – 360º in 1º increments. Accuracy is ±1º
- Rainfall Range: 0 to 394 in. with a resolution of 0.01in. Accuracy is ±10%
- Solar Radiation Range: 0 to 400,000 Lux in 1 Lux increments. Accuracy ±15%
- UV Range: 0 to 15 in increments of 1. Accuracy is ±1
Indoor sensor specs:
- Temperature Range: 32 to 140°F in increments of 0.1°F.Accuracy is ± 2°F
- Humidity Range: 10 to 99% in 1% increments. Accuracy is ±5%
- Barometric Pressure Range is 8.85 to 32.50 inHg with a resolution of .01inHg, ±0.08 inHg
What Buyers are Saying About the WS-1401-IP OBSERVER
As of this writing, 82% of the WS-1401-IP buyers are giving it very high ratings.
Most people remarked about how easy to set up it is. Some people ran into glitches and remarked how good the Ambient help desk was.
“Outstanding little weather station…”
“… can’t believe the range of data available and the ease of setup…”
“…Super easy setup…”
If you are looking for a home weather station that is easy to setup and get online with, the WS-1401-IP Observer is an excellent choice.