There are benefits to knowing your current local weather and for getting a weather forecast based on the weather at your own house. This makes it easier to plan ahead with confidence, and to help you prepare your family and property for weather events.
Of course, the reality is that having a home weather station is just flat out fun!
Having a weather station for home use just makes sense.
The Acurite 01036 5-in-1 Pro Weather Station is a Best Seller. Featuring the 5-in1 weather sensor which sends data to an indoor display equipped with PC Connect. PC Connect provides a way to save your outdoor weather measurements as a data file on your computer, or post the weather data online through your computer’s internet connection. A cable from the display connects to a USB port on your Windows or Mac equipped computer. If you want to, you can start uploading your weather info to myacurite.com or Weather Underground the data becomes available for you to see with the free myacurite app.
You can go to Amazon for more pictures and information.
Features and specifications
Acurite’s 5-in-1 weather sensor collects current weather information including
- Temperature -40° to 158°F (-40° to 70°C). Updates every 36 seconds. Accuracy is +/-2°F
- Humidity 1% to 99% Relative Humidity. Updates every 36 seconds. Accuracy is +/-3% from 20%RH to 80% RH then slowly falling to +/- 5% at the limits.
- Wind speed 0 to 99 MPH (0 to 159 KPH). Updates every 18 seconds. Accuracy is +/- 2mph below 10mph, +/- 3mph from 10 to 30mph, +/- 4mph from30 to 50mph, and +/- 5 from 50 to 99mph.
- Wind direction Updates every 36 seconds.
- Rainfall A self-emptying cup with an accuracy of 0.05 inches per inch.
- Wireless transmission of the weather measurements up to 330 feet.
- The 433MHZ signal passes through obstructions better than the common 915MHZ.
- A solar-powered fan helps with the temperature accuracy by passing ambient air over the thermometer. The four AA batteries power the transmitter, not the fan.
- Claims a 2-year battery life. In my experience, this is possible if you start with new lithium batteries, check that expiration date.
- Acurite software for Mac and Windows
How the 01036 works
A wireless transmitter in the weather sensor sends the data to the receiver in the display and the weather data is shown to you. On the Acurite digital color display, you’ll see all of the weather data sent by the 5 in 1 weather sensor plus indoor/outdoor temperature and relative humidity and barometric pressure.
Lots of weather data
- Indoor temperature range of 32°F to 122°F (0° – 50°Celsius) with an accuracy of +/- 2°F.
- Indoor relative humidity range is 16% to 98% with an average accuracy of around 4%.
- Trend arrows for the temperature, humidity, and barometric pressure readings.
- A 16 point wind rose displays the wind direction graphically.
- 12 to 24-hour forecast provided by Acurite’s patented Self-Calibrating Forecasting feature.
- A signal strength meter to help with connection issues.
- The Weather Ticker gives you weekly and monthly high/low and averages of your weather measurements. Rainfall rate in inches per hour is displayed here. Also, weather alarms, moon phases, “feels like” temperature, and more are presented on the Weather Ticker.
- The Acurite digital color display is powered by the included 4.5v power adapter or six AA alkaline batteries (not included). I use both to keep the display operating through power failures. The display will keep 2 weeks of data in memory.
Specification chart for the Acurite 01036:
|Outdoor Temperature||-40 to 158F||1°||+/-2°F||36 Seconds|
|Indoor Temperature||32 to 122||1°||+/-2°F||1 Minute|
|Outdoor Humidity||1 to 99% RH||1%||+/-5%||36 Seconds|
|Indoor Humidity||16 to 98% RH||1%||+/-5%||1 Minute|
|Barometric Pressure||Automatic self-calibrating barometer, averaged to sea level- 29.92″|
|Wind Speed||0 to 99 MPH||1mph||+/-5MPH||18 Seconds|
|Wind Direction||0 – 360°||16 Point
|to 22.5||36 Seconds|
|Rainfall||0.01 Inches and Up||0.01||+/-.05″ per inch||36 Seconds|
|Outdoor 5 in 1
|4AA lithium batteries|
|Display Power||4.5v Power adapter or 6 AA Batteries|
|Range||330 feet Maximum range for transmitter|
|Frequency||433MHZ Three channels available to avoid interference|
More details and answers to your questions are available here.
PC Connect enables you to log your weather data on your computer through a USB port and from there post to the internet if you want to. The Acurite software download is on their website. You have a choice of Windows or Mac. PC Connect works with Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and 10. For the Acurite software for Mac, you’ll need OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) and higher.
The Acurite Pc connect software is very easy to install; after you download the program, just agree to the default settings and in a minute or two your are done. You are presented with the choices of sending the weather data to a file of your choosing, sending your weather measurements to Weather Underground, and sending the weather info to the MyAcurite site. Choose none, one, or all of them.
The MyAcurite weather station app allows you to see your current and historical weather station data on your mobile device from anywhere. Additionally, you can set it up to alert you when certain things happen that might need attending to, like freezing temperatures, flooding rains, or high winds. Receive the alerts by email or phone.
MyAcurite weather data is confidential, so you’ll have to register online for access.
- Very easy to set up and get running.
- From the #1 weather equipment seller in North America.
- Simple and intuitive “best in class” weather software.
- There are reports of the batteries in the 5 in 1 sensor going bad too soon. My suggestion is to buy premium lithium batteries and purchase the battery extension cable so you can bring the batteries closer to the ground.
- Uploading to weather underground requires a computer that is always on. This what I’ve been doing for over a decade, so to me it’s no big deal.
What people are saying:
“The weather station and display work great. Installation was easy ….”
“…The display is bright with large, easy to read numbers. It is well arranged with little clutter.…”
“…5-in-1 sensor array is very easy setup
Bright display with large, easy to read symbols
Wireless reception is great…”
“…works perfectly. I wish I had bought one years ago”
Interested? You can buy it here.
This is an easy to set up and very reliable personal weather station with lots of satisfied buyers. This is a very popular weather station on Amazon!
If you are looking for an affordable home weather station from the #1 seller, you’ve found it.
Don’t care to connect direct through your computer? Here is my review of a related model that connects through an internet bridge.
When you look at the 01036 on Amazon you’ll find a selection of display options.
- Display version 1 is the Acurite 02064
- Display version 2 is the Acurite 01036
- Display version 3 is the Acurite 01536
- Display version 4 is the Acurite 02032 with adjustable dimmer
So basically these are all the same except the model 02032 has brightness control. The Acurite display version 2 is the model 01036. All of the displays present the same information, just slightly differently. All of the displays have the PC Connect feature and all can be set on a table or mounted on a wall.
Do you want to see more weather station options? Take a look at this page.